Search This Blog

Korean Drama ♦ Moon Lovers – Scarlet Heart: Ryeo / 달의 연인 – 보보경심: 려 ~♥

By: http://seoulinlovenow.blogspot.com


Title: Moon Lovers – Scarlet Heart: Ryeo / 달의 연인 – 보보경심: 려
Genre: Historical, Romance, Time-travel
Episodes: 20
Country: South Korea
Broadcast Year: 2016

Synopsis:

This drama is based on Chinese novel “Bu Bu Jing Xin” by Tong Hua which was originally published online in 2005 on Jinjiang Original Network. The novel also adapted into the Chinese television series “Scarlet Heart” which was aired in Hunan Broadcasting System (HBS) from 2011-Sep-10 to 2011-Sep-29 and also “Scarlet Heart 2” which was aired in Zhejiang STV (ZJTV) from 2014-Apr-22 to 2014-May-07.


This drama was fully pre-produced before airing which is a departure from the live-shoot production format that characterizes most Korean dramas. The Filming Began on 2016-Jan and Completed on 2016-June-30. The series will be simulcast in China, Japan and Hong Kong.


The story set up in the early of Goryeo regime. Hae Soo (IU), a 25 year old girl from modern era got transported back to Goryeo dynasty and got trapped in the conflicts and struggles between princes of Wang’s House. There, she falls in love with Wang So (Lee Joon Ki) who makes other people tremble with fear. (Credit: Koreandrama.org)

Comment:

Moon Lovers – Scarlet Heart: Ryeo aired its last episode in November 2016 and I finally find time to write my review on it. This drama is adapted from Tong Hua's novel, Bu Bu Jing Xin - Startling by Each Step. I watched the China version some years back and was really touched by the sad ending. It was quite a hit at that time and I was hoping the Korea version will not follow the sad ending.

The Princes = Eye Candy ^^

I cannot help compare both Korea and China version while I was watching Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo. I find the Korea version more emotional, with the sad childhood and background of Wang So (Starring: Lee Joon Ki). By the way, I just want to comment on Lee Joon Ki's acting. He is really marrrvelooous! He portrayed the emotions of Wang Soo fantastically. I feel sad for his character. And when he is cold and angry, he is really fearful. I wonder why they call him the wolf dog though, this is something they did not follow the China version. Personally, I feel that its not very appropriate. And Lee Jong Ki even go on a diet to appear 'thinner' for this character in order to look more like an...ahem..."injured animal". He lost 15kg on a diet of 5 to 6 months. Seriously?? But honestly, I did find his jawline very sexy in Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo. His jawline does became sharper due to his weight lost. Haha. And he is really cool with his face mask on.


Anyway, IU, on the other hand might need to brush up on her acting, but I think she is consider okay, given that she is a young actress? I find her exceptionally sweet and cute in Moon Lovers – Scarlet Heart: Ryeo. She looks pretty in all those colorful period costumes. 

I like how the director of this drama shoot some of the scenes, it makes the setting of the drama very beautiful and epic. And not to mention the gorgeous costumes and eye candies (all the princes ^^).
I thought the portrait of King Gwang Jong looks like the real life Wang So, lol! Anyway, I hope that the Korea version will shoot a second part, as I personally feel that the ending is not complete. I was actually looking forward to a scene where by Wang So will meet Hae Soo in modern time. But it just end with him saying he will look for his Hae Soo.
 
Don't they look good together? :)


If you have watch neither Korea version, Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo or China version, Bu Bu Jing Xing, please give this drama a chance. Both versions are definitely worth watching!

2 comments:

  1. I got used to IU after a while, but I have to admit, she annoyed me a bit in the beginning.

    My biggest beef with Moon Lovers was the lack of romantic chemistry. I did not feel it. At all. I was like, "Why does she love him...?" I can get why he loved her. Desperation and all that. Mommy issues. But her? And also, the time travel was really confusing, and seemed almost out of place. Maybe I need to watch the Chinese version to understand it better.

    Thanks for your review, and nice to meet you!

    Devon
    www.devonandcornwall.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Well written review! I hope you will keep us updated if they do another season!

    ReplyDelete